12.18.2013

ramblings - 12.18.13


- In the past I've decorated our tiny Christmas trees very simply (little tip for couples who have registered at Pottery Barn: the silver keys that come on all packages make pretty cute ornaments!). But in moving this year I found these colorful - and kind of crazy - ornaments from my Grandma and Grandpa when we got married. Apparently they're a German tradition, and each represent some good wishes for the new couple and their home. I love them! And yes, that is a fish front and center on our tree. And a pickle. Germans are weird.

- I found the rocker of my dreams at a great price! I ordered it, arranged for borrowing a car once it arrived to pick it up from the store, and did a happy dance. And then it went on backorder, and has never reappeared. Crushing tragedy. I love it so much though that I've accepted it not being here before the baby comes in the hopes that it will at least be available eventually.

- I'm bummed about how warm DC is about to get, because I feel like I can't put my "trick myself into thinking it's a winter wonderland by playing one of those fake fire videos on the tv" plan into action anymore. 

- I have to confess: I gave up on Team of Rivals. I felt like a failure (a failure whose brain is turning to mush), but I just couldn't focus! I got about 350 pages in, realized that was only halfway, and decided that now would maybe be a good time to start reading about how to take care of a baby instead. So I did that. And to reward myself, I'm finally reading Planet Narnia, and I'm in heaven. I'll get back to the 1860s...eventually. [p.s. Any parenting/baby books that you mamas recommend?]




8 comments:

  1. We have a weird German pickle on our tree too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! That makes me SO happy :). Do you guys do the thing where you hide it and whoever finds it gets an extra present?

      Delete
  2. Hi Anna! Responding to your book recommendations, check out the books by Ames & Ilg (Louise Bates Ames and Francis Ilg) They are wonderful books about human development - which will help with parenting as the books tell why babies/children/teens do what they do. The small books are an easy read - trick is to always have read ahead of the upcoming age/stage of your child so you are not surprised by their behavior. You can find them on Amazon.
    Love to you, Will and baby!
    Aunt Jeanne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. those ornaments are the best! i'm on the lookout for a good german pickle... : ) cody's family always had one growing up. are your grandparents from germany? or their parents? i know you are very german, but wondering how far back it goes, since i've never asked! i hope your dream rocker comes back oh so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a little German on my mom's side, and on my dad's my Oma and Opa's parents all came from Germany...and then lived in very German communities so it seems like it got less diluted :). So a couple if generations back, but they intentionally kept the culture very present. Oma actually just went back to visit the rest of Opa's family in Germany, which I thought was pretty cute!

      Delete
  4. I havn't heard about that pickle tradition. And I' m German though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna,

    Regarding books... We are big fans of Dr. Sears and the Sears Parenting Library. Our favorites have been The Baby Book (we've looked in it about a thousand times since Marie was born 9 months ago), The Breastfeeding Book, The Attachment Parenting Book and The Vaccine Book. I definitely recommend them. We just feel like their philosophy lines up with ours for the most part, so we feel really comfortable returning to them again and again without having to worry every time what angle the information is coming from (which is helpful since there are SO many different perspectives, especially available online). I've also found mothering.com to be extremely helpful at times though some stuff on there is a little crazy. Also, if you're interested at all in trying infant potty training (which is really neat! I'm going to be writing a blog post about our experiences with it soon at theuntitledadventuresof.blogspot.com), I would recommend Diaper-Free Baby by Christine Gross-Loh.

    I'm so excited for you as you wait for the arrival of your little girl--what a blessed time! I pray that labor and delivery go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete